Mount Vernon Square
Status messageLocating you...
Mount Vernon Square is formed at the diagonal crossing of Massachusetts Avenue and New York Avenue. The park is bordered by K Street, 7th Street, Mount Vernon Place, and 9th Street.
Mount Vernon Square was originally a large open space as shown on the L’Enfant Plan. A large market was constructed at the site in 1846. After the market was demolished due to poor and unhealthy conditions, the District Board of Public Works created concrete roadways and landscaping through the square extending Massachusetts Avenue and New York Avenue in 1877. In 1882 the carriage roadways were closed and became footpaths. The Central Library of the District of Columbia, today known as the Carnegie Library, was completed in December 1902. Administrative jurisdiction of the park was transferred from the National Park Service to the District of Columbia in 2006.
EventsDC is responsible for the operation of the Library, which houses the Kiplinger Research Library, which contains the archives of the District of Columbia Historical Society. Exhibits on DC history are on display in the building as well as a number of small to medium meeting spaces.
The District Department of Transportation and DC Office of Planning have partnered to undertake the Mount Vernon Square District Project, which will make recommendations for improving the transportation infrastructure, public realm, and park land surrounding Mount Vernon Square. More information about the project can be found on the DC Office of Planning website.