BID Receives LED Lighting Makeover
By Scott Pomeroy
The DowntownDC Business Improvement District (BID)'s board room and lobby recently received a complete light-emitting diode (LED) lighting makeover, courtesy of Access Green energy conservation firm and CapitalTriState electrical distributor.
The makeover is part of an effort to improve the BID's energy efficiency and serve as a model for lighting and control upgrades and modifications that can lower costs and help save energy.
This completely free donation, the installation for which was performed by Access Green's career pathway employees who are residents of Washington, D.C., enables the BID office itself to showcase easy, energy-efficient lighting upgrades that don’t require permits.
The retrofit included three lighting technologies:
- Full LED Fixtures from Cooper Lighting: These Encounter fixtures blend contemporary styling with WaveStream technology and built-in sensoring for occupancy and daylight harvesting. This product is compatible with all of today's popular ceiling systems and is available in a variety of configurations. They can be used in commercial, school, hospital, retail and other indoor ambient spaces.
- Sylvania T8 LED SubstiTUBEs: These shatter-resistant LED T8 lamps contain no mercury, provide instant and uniform light distribution and replace traditional fluorescent T8 lamps. These lamps greatly minimize labor and recycling costs. Because the SubstiTUBE IPS LED T8 is not affected by switching cycles, occupancy or vacancy sensors can be installed with the existing ballasts for optimal energy savings.
- Sylvania Retrofit DownLights: These provide energy savings, have a long life and they support sustainability goals. They are reliable, high quality replacements for conventional light sources for both commercial and residential applications.
These lighting technologies can help offices and other spaces achieve the following results:
- Improved energy efficiency ranging from 30 percent to 80 percent reduction
- Reduced maintenance costs because these products last anywhere from 80,000 to 400,000 hours without replacement
- Enhanced quality of light since the LED light output is the best man-made translation of natural lighting
- Greater control of lighting because the solid-state lighting (SSL) technology used for LEDs offers opportunities for integrating the latest technological advances
Want to learn more about our lighting retrofit and a wide range of indoor and outdoor lighting solutions that have been implemented around our region? You are invited on Tuesday, March 1st from 8:00am-10:00am to attend a free breakfast workshop on the subject. JBG’s Jessica Long, Access Green’s Joe Andronaco and CapitalTriState’s David Levine will discuss the latest in industry advances.
Sign up now as space is limited: REGISTER HERE
- What: Changes in Lighting, a Breakfast Workshop
- When: Tuesday, March 1st, 8:00am – 10:00am
- Where: DowntownDC Business Improvement District (BID) 1250 H Street, NW, Suite 1000
- Who: JBG, Access Green, CapitalTriState