DowntownDC Restaurants Take Home RAMMY Awards
By Rachel Rose Hartman
DowntownDC restaurants and restaurant industry figures took home key awards Sunday night at the 2014 RAMMY Awards hosted by the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW).
Modern, upscale trattoria Fiola (601 Pennsylvania Ave NW) won Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year for the Washington Metropolitan region. Chef Haidar Karoum of modern American restaurant Proof (775 G Street NW) won Chef of the Year. Karoum is also the chef of Doi Moi and Estadio outside the BID. Red Apron Butcher won Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year and opened a new location this year in the BID at 709 D Street NW.
The 32nd annual awards, of which the DowntownDC BID is a sponsor, honors the D.C. region's restaurant and foodservice community and the awards gala has turned into one of the top D.C. food events of the year. This year's gala returned to DowntownDC and was held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center (801 Mt. Vernon Place NW).
Seven new categories including best cocktail and beer program and "fast bites" were added this year in an effort to keep pace with the region's rapidly evolving dining scene.
A slew of DowntownDC chefs, restaurateurs, establishments and foodservice industry employees were among this year's finalists. Check out the complete list below and congratulations to all the winners!:
DowntownDC finalists for Restaurateur of the Year:
- José Andrés and Rob Wilder- ThinkFoodGroup
- Gus DiMillo, David Wizenberg, Jeff Tunks-Passion Food Hospitality
- Mark Kuller- Doi Moi, Estadio, Proof
DowntownDC finalists in other categories:
- Art and Soul Restaurant (415 New Jersey Avenue NW): Upscale Brunch
- Acadiana (901 New York Avenue NW): Employee of the Year Sandra Sanchez
- Brasserie Beck (1101 K Street NW): Beer Program of the Year
- Co Co. Sala (929 F Street NW): Pastry Chef of the Year Santosh Tiptur
- Del Campo Restaurant (777 I Street NW): New Restaurant of the Year; Chef of the Year Victor Albisu
- Fiola (601 Pennsylvania Ave NW): Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year; Pastry Chef of the Year Tom Wellings
- Graffiato (707 6th Street NW): Everyday Casual Restaurant of the Year
- The Hamilton (600 14th Street NW): Employee of the Year Eric "Soup" Campbell
- Jaleo (480 7th Street NW): Manager of the Year Jorge Figueredo
- MENU/MBK, Table (405 8th Street NW): Pastry Chef of the Year Jason Gehring
- Minibar (405 8th Street NW): Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year; Rising Culinary Star of the Year Johnny Spero
- Oyamel (401 7th Street NW): Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year
- Proof (775 G Street NW): Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year; Chef of the Year Haidar Karoum. Karoum is also the chef for Doi Moi and Estadio in the District.
- Rasika (633 D Street NW): Service Program of the Year
- The Source (565 Pennsylvania Avenue NW): Upscale Brunch
- Woodward TakeOut Food (1426 H Street NW): Favorite Fast Bites