National Cherry Blossom Festival Wins Prestigious Pinnacle Awards
Kudos to the National Cherry Blossom Festival, which won ten Pinnacle Awards for the spectacular 2012 National Cherry Blossom Festival, a five-week event that celebrated the 100th anniversary of the gift of trees from Tokyo to DC. The Pinnacle Awards, a competition held by the International Festivals & Events Association (IFEA), were handed out in 69 different categories and showcase excellence in areas such as advertising, community outreach and education. The National Cherry Blossom Festival walked away with a bronze in the Grand Pinnacle category, IFEA’s highest award, which reflects the best overall festival or event in the world—yes, the world!—within four budget categories.
Other awards won by the Festival:
- Gold – Best New Promotion for the City in Bloom campaign, created to visually unify and ignite the region and presented by Capital One Bank
- Gold – Best Event Website for nationalcherryblossomfestival.org
- Silver – Best Children’s Programming for Family Days, presented with the National Building Museum (401 F Street) and sponsored by Safeway
- Silver – Best Full Length TV Program for the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade®, nationally syndicated for the first time in 2012
- Silver – Best Single Magazine Display Ad (as seen in Capitol File) for the Pink Tie Party
- Silver – Best Event Invitation for the Centennial Tree Planting Ceremony led by First Lady Michelle Obama
- Bronze – Best Media Relations Campaign
- Bronze – Best Mobile App
- Bronze – Best Street Banner, featuring the official 2012 artwork by Peter Max, one of America's most well-known artists
More than 1.5 million people worldwide visited DC to attend this year’s Festival, which offered superb programming primarily free and open to the public. Mark your calendar. The 2013 National Cherry Blossom Festival will be held from Wednesday, March 20th through Sunday, April 14th. Don’t miss the nation’s greatest springtime celebration!
For the complete list of Pinnacle Awards winners, visit the IFEA website.