The SAMs do much more than keep DowntownDC clean, safe and friendly. Throughout the year, they are called upon to help with various BID-related and special events in Downtown, ranging from the Downtown Holiday Market to participating in the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. Their contributions have made a difference at the following projects, sites and events:
• New York Avenue Sculpture Project – This private-public partnership between the National Museum of Women in the Arts (NMWA), the DowntownDC BID and the DC Office of Planning, features changing installations of contemporary works by women artists along the New York Avenue median from 12th to 13th streets. They continue to provide maintenance and beautification services at the site.
• Downtown Holiday Market – Each year, several SAMs assist with crowd support and maintenance for the Downtown Holiday Market and a few appear in holiday costumes. This outdoor marketplace that takes place between 7th and 9th streets in front of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM) and National Portrait Gallery in December.
• National Cherry Blossom Festival – SAMs are called upon to assist with various events durin gthe National Cherry Blossom Festival and each year, they walk in the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade!
• Presidential Inauguration – Every four years, on Inauguration Day, the SAMs are deployed as early as 5 a.m. and work as late as 10 p.m. to make the Inauguration experience in DowntownDC clean, safe, friendly and memorable for the masses. SAMs help with crowd control, disseminate special guides and pedestrian maps and collect more than triple the usual amounts of debris and recyclables.
• Burke Park (U.S. Reservation 68) – In 2012, Casey Trees, in partnership with the DowntownDC BID, the National Park Service (NPS), and the DC Office of Planning (OP), planted several trees at the park and in exterior sidewalk tree boxes. The SAMs provide regular tree watering services to keep the trees healthy.
• Partners and Stakeholders – DowntownDC BID partners and stakeholders often request SAMs to help with events, guiding attendees, assisting with maintenance and overall creating a welcome atmosphere for their Downtown guests.